CFUW KELOWNA COMMUNITY PROJECTS
The Coldest Night of the Year walk, held on Saturday, February 26th this year, was a family-friendly walk which drew a large crowd walking to raise money for local charities serving people experiencing hurt, hunger, and homelessness. See photo below. CFUW Kelowna's team, also pictured below, raised approximately $800 for Metro, the organization locally serving the homeless population. Thank you to all who walked, donated or promoted the event.
Over the past sixty years we have:-
ARTS AND CULTURE
ARTS AND CULTURE
- Sponsored the arts in schools and the community by organizing a regional drama festival and sponsoring theatre performances and symphony concerts
- Started the Kelowna and District Arts Council (KADAC)
- Raised funds to purchase pianos and furnishings at the Community Theatre and supporting the Art Gallery
- CFUW Kelowna is a proud supporter of the recently formed Society for a new Performing Arts Centre.
(You can also download the brochure immediately above to circulate by email. There is a link to the website there also.)
Please support them by signing up on their website and forward to others who want to support their efforts.
- Started Friends of the Library and served on its board
- Started Project Literacy, served as board members and volunteered as tutors
- Contracted for over 20 years with the City of Kelowna as partners in the Adopt-a-Road program (see photos below of some of the fall 2021 volunteers)
- Advocated for water conservation and recycling long before civic programs were begun
- Donated to the Environmental Education Centre for the Central Okanagan and to Mission Creek Greenway
- ** below you will find a downloadable file listing all the items that can be locally recycled and those that can't **
- Wrote life stories for about twenty residents of the Good Samaritan Mountainview Village
- Supported the Salvation Army, the local Food Bank, the local Women's Shelter, Friends of Schizophrenia, Inn from the Cold, Elizabeth Fry Society, Freedom's Door, Habitat for Humanity, and NOW Canada, among other recipients
- Individual members volunteer with a wide range of community organizations, from sports to medicine, history to education groups, animal welfare to parks